Sunday, August 22, 2010

Good afternoon guys.....I could do with some sound advice.....?

I have always wanted a dobermann ever since I was a kid. Now that my faithful alsation is getting on a bit I am in the market for getting a puppy. The thing is,I have two young children. I have read many articles,most of which seem to contradict each other. So wot I'm asking is this.... with the right upbringing are dobermanns okay to have with children or not. I'd love to hear from anyone who has both and their views. Many many thanksxxxxxxx mooxxx


PS my children are 6 and 8 and have spent their whole lives living with the alsatin so are used to big dogs and are very good with animals.....Good afternoon guys.....I could do with some sound advice.....?
yes they should be ok with him a long as you train the dog wellGood afternoon guys.....I could do with some sound advice.....?
Dobies are great with children when properly trained and socialized. My dobie diva loves kids. A suggestion would be to get a female, the puppy would play with your kids but as she got older she would view them more as her own pups and be gentle and protective of them. As long as your kids understand how to treat a dog it will be a great match. I got my dobie used to some of the things kids do by pulling on her ears, poking her, pulling her nubbie tail, petting/patting her hard on the head(I don't know why but a lot of kids seem to think this is how to pet dogs). I started doing this as soon as she got used to my home and me, that way she'd be okay no matter what kids would do to her.


Anyway, dobies can be wonderful family dogs, they do require a lot of attention, and always want to be near someone. Simply make sure they know who is the pack leader and they know they are the lowest on the totem pole, below your kids and thing will go great. Females are more stubborn than males and may challenge your leadership, and definately your kids. Just make sure when training your dog you have your kids participating as well, so your pup knows to follow their commands as well as yours. If you stick to this you should have a wonderful dog and a great fiend for the lifetime of the pooch.
If you want the simple answer...


YES! Get the Doberman.


I had 2 dobermans (1 from outstanding bloodlines and 1 from an abusive home) and 5 year old son. I think the dogs thought my son was their personal child to protect.


They would all play like 3 puppies together.


NO ONE ever got close to my son with out meeting up with 2 huge heads full of sharp teeth in warning whether they were friends of the family or not unless the dogs got the word from me that it was OK for this day.


Just make sure you train the dog well and you will have a faithful loving family member.
My first dog was a female dobe and she was the absolute BEST we lived and traveled together for 14 years.She was so smart and i was so young(15)when i bought her.I thought all dobes were this way until my next one. He had issues from the start(poor breeding)american style(money and fads of the time)he put me in the hospital twice(broke one hand and mangled the other)just one bad apple......Have had many others that were great but all of them were German bred(like my first girl) and i enjoyed and had great success with.Don't let this one story distress you DO YOUR RESEARCH FIND A GOOD BREEDER AND TRAINER AND ENJOY THE DOG OF YOUR CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GOOD LUCK And by the way i now have and breed (GERMAN)GERMAN SHERHERDS got to love the temperment and desire to please
dobermann's are great dogs, its best to buy from a reputable breeder and meet the sire and dam (parents) of the puppy your looking at so you can see their temperament. don't buy the meek quiet little pup who sits in the corner but also don't buy the boisterous over the top pup either. Best in the litter are the ones in the middle.. happy friendly pups. As long as you make sure the dog knows its place it will be great with your children. Don't let the dog sleep on beds or the lounge and tell the children not to be on the floor with the dog only because the dog then thinks the child is on his/her levil and may challenge your child for supremacy. Obedience training is great too %26amp; can help the children learn how to control the dog also. Dobermann's have been given a bit of a bad name because of how they have been portrayed in movies etc. They really are wonderful dogs.
I think it would be OK - as long as ou let the dog know who the boss is from the beginning!
Again with consistent positive training, no hitting , no aggressiveness but firmness a doberman is a very intelligent dog. My Aunt had two with two boys and had no problems although I would get a standard rough collie everyday over a dobe for children. There is no dog alive that loves kids more and protects them more. They were bred for it and they were taught to think for their selves in any given situation. They sleep at each ones bedside making the rounds all night , not to show preference. They are incredible with young kids. Dobes on the other hand are a more aggressive personality. You have to get the right one and know your stuff on training, sometimes a chance not worth taking at this age group,(children) but what do I know..
A well trained Doberman can be a great family member.


Make sure you get one from a reputable breeder, who will support your puppy for his entire life, and begin obedience training from day one. Remember, obedience training (any kind of training) is an on going process and must be done regularly for the life of the dog.
I grew up on a farm and we had 3 dobermans and a Samoyed. Two of the dobermans were very placid and gentle with my brother and I. The third, Kemo, was a very good, loving dog.





However, one day my brother, as kids do, was playing a bit rough with him and Kemo attacked my brother. There was no permanent damage done, mainly because my dad pried Kemo's jaws open. I think if my dad hadn't intervened Kemo would have killed my brother.





So, my advice.....wait until your kids are in their teens before getting a doberman. They are VERY good dogs, but kids do some stupid things sometimes and you don't want to take the chance!!
Any dog is fine with kids as long as the dog is trained well and the kids treat it with respect. A dobermann is a loyal breed of dog and will take good care of the family and house. Personally I think it is a great choice!
Any breed can bite. It doesn't matter the size. It's all how you raise and train your puppy. Obedience classes are always a good idea. As long as you children are dog savy they should be fine, they grew up with a large breed dog. My kids grew up with Rottis and we never had any problems.
Yes our Doberman adored our children if she thought she hurt the children by standing on their feet she immediately cuddled them she so loving. She died 7 years ago and we still cry when we talk about her. The kennel club will advise you of a reputable breeder





Good Luck
Yes, dobermans are fine around children. The only reason alot of people won't have a dobe around children is they are afraid smaller children will get knocked down.





With your children being a bit bigger and them being around larger dogs all their lives, a dobe would be a great family addition.


Besides, the kids are old enough to assist in the training now also.





We have 4 dobermans, and my 3 yr old grandson loves on 3 of them. The 4th is a little high strung, would never intentionally hurt my grandson, but he would probably knock him down.





If you decide to get a doberman....thoroughly research the breeder!!!!
Hi, I have had four dobeys in my life, the latest Bella is so soft and affectionate towards my nephew 1yr old and niece 3yr old. they love her to bits and she simply adores the affection back. She would die for those two and she is the most wonderfully affectionate dog you could wish for. My previous doby, Mitz, was the same, when we couldnt find my son Mark we looked all over and found him curled up within Mitz's legs fast asleep and she just looked the proudest dog on earth. Go for it you will not be disappointed. ceeya!!!!
I don't own a dobe, but I can still answer your question... Any dog that is properly socialized from a puppy and grows up with children will likely be fine with them. It's what they will grow to know.





The one thing I would suggest is that you be sure to seek out a reputable and ethical breeder to buy your puppy from. A good breeder will breed for good temperment and you will be assured to have a puppy that began socializing when still with the litter. You will pay a little more for a puppy this way, but knowing that they will have proper health clearances and that temperment was seriously considered in the breeding process is well worht it!





Another great idea is to get your new puppy into some classes and have your children be there to help and participate! We saw many young children in our Puppy Kindergarten classes and they learned so much right along with their puppy. Great experience for both of them!





Good Luck!
We don't own a doberman, BUT, my brother does. He got him as a pup in order to protect their property in Honduras. From when he got him, he has worked hard with obedience training and socializing him with other people, children and animals. We have 6 children, ages 8 months to 14years old. His dobie has been extremely well behaved with our children even after not seeing them over the course of 6 months. He is also a wonderful guard dog and a loving faithful companion. I would definitely find a reputable breeder, read lots on their care and training and take your timemaking this decision, but that should be done with any dog...All the best!
I always heard that the reason some Dobies are bad with kids is that they're too inbred so we got a Dobie cross (half Collie, of all things!) and he was FABULOUS with kids.





Although we named him Rambo, there wasn't an aggressive bone in his body and he even let our other dogs boss him around. Yet he protected the yard and barked his head off if anybody came close.

No comments:

Post a Comment